Cherry Crisp Recipe – ok so you’ve been cherry picking and went a bit overboard and now have more cherries than you can possibly eat! What do you do with them? How about baking a Cherry Crisp?
Our recipe is a bit of a cheat and uses canned cherries, but if yours are fresh then there’s an easy first step.
Stewing Fresh Cherries
Take 1lb of fresh, rinsed cherries and pit them. Add them to a saucepan with 1 tablespoon of sugar and around 2 tablespoons of water. Bring the water to boil and them turn down to a simmer. Simmer, stirring occasionally for around ten minutes.
Cherry Crisp Recipe
You will need:
• 2 (15 oz) can Red Tart Cherries or 1lb of fresh unpitted cherries.
• 1 tsp Vanilla
• 3 tsp Cornstarch
• ¾ cup packed Brown Sugar
• ½ cup All-Purpose Flour
• ½ cup Old Fashioned Oats
• 1/3 cup soft Butter
• ¾ tsp Cinnamon
• Optional – Whipping Cream and/or Vanilla Ice Cream
• 8”x12” baking pan
• small sauce pot
• medium size bowl
• Heat oven to 375°
• Drain and reserve liquid from cherries
• Pour reserved liquid into a small sauce pot ad bring to boil.
Whisk in cornstarch to thicken.
Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
• In a medium size bowl, mix together brown sugar and butter.
• Add flour, oats, and cinnamon to mixture and combine until it resembles course crumbles.
• Spread cherries into baking pan. Pour thickened cherry sauce over cherries.
• Sprinkle and spread oat mixture over cherries.
• Bake 30 minutes or until oat mixture is golden brown and crisp.
• Serve warm or cooled with whipping cream and/or vanilla ice cream